Monday, August 01, 2005

Rockin' with the stones

I fooled you with the title didn't I? I'll bet you thought you were going to read about some fabulous concert with the Stones eh? No such luck. I only wish it were that kind of stone to which I refer.

This month has been simply unbelievable. I haven't posted much because I have been in and out of the hospital so much, I think I've been there more than at home.

As many of my readers and friends know, I was having trouble with a 10 mm kidney stone that simply refused to be removed. No matter what the Doctors tried, it just wouldn't budge. With my kidneys in danger of serious damage, The Doctor decided to put a tube into m kidney and then go in via the tube and remove the stone.

The second Doctor that was to put the tube in place tried for over two hors only to find that the collection area of my kidney is only about half the size of most other people. I had twelve (12) holes in my back where he tried to figure out a way to get the tube in place. Needless to say it never worked.

One week later, my regular Doctor that handles this put me back in the hospital and used a laser to finally get the little bastard out.

Hooray, this time he got it! Hip hooray for me! If I live to be 100, I hope I never have another kidney stone again. God they suck!

I wish I had asked him to save any bits of the stone he could so that I could put them in a baggy and then run them over with the car.

I have a question for any health care workers that read this. Why is it that nurses and technicians all feel that even being in serious pain I should be friendly and in a good, jolly mood? Let me tell you, that will never happen with me. I am a horrid patient. Hands down, I fully admit it.

I am every nurses nightmare. At least the nurses here in Texas. They all want to be chatty which I didn't feel like being. Now I am not ugly or mean to anyone but I simply don't want to talk, chat or be around anyone when I am in pain. I prefer to talk only when necessary that way I am less likely to say anything rude to anyone. I think that is fair and isn't too much to ask.

I detest being in any situation where I must ask anyone for help. I like to do for myself and I like being able to handle things myself. I don't want someone holding my arm while I walk to the bathroom or someone looking in the door while I try to have a wee. I much prefer to be the one helping someone else. And unlike some people, it doesn't bother me if someone is grumpy or crabby to me when they are ill or in pain. Hey, shit happens right?

So, I now am on the mend finally and I hope to never have any more problems with kidney stones again. I will consider myself a fortunate woman if that happens.

Until later, enjoy your stone-free life and if you happen to have a kidney stone, you have my sincere sympathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home