Monday, May 09, 2005

A kidney stone the size of a small cat

Hello to everyone in blogger land or just those of you who are visiting my site. I have been busy being very ill with a kidney stone the size of a small cat. I will share with you the normal explanation of what's been happening as I set to a friend.

..."just got home from the hospital last night. I was admitted last Thursday night and had surgery that same night to put in a stint. Basically, The Urologist had to go into my kidney and put a stint in to hold open the tube. The name starts with a U? I can't remember what he called it. Anyway, the stone was blocking it and he was worried that it would cause serious, permanent damage. He pushed the stone back up into my kidney and then put in the stint. This is incredibly painful... I just can't begin to tell you how much. I hope all goes well and that I can heal quickly.

According to the Doctor he will have to do laser surgery to break it up since it is enormous. He told me that most stones he has removed have normally been around 5mm-7mm. He said that mine was huge (I misspoke myself on the other email, the stone was 1cm) in comparison. What's worse is that he isn't positive when he can do the surgery since he literally has to call in favors from his physician friends and colleagues in order to find a hospital that has a laser unit available and not in use. Then he has to shift some patients around to move me up. I am hoping that he can do the surgery within at least a day or two. I seriously hope that it won't be much longer than a couple of days.

He did give me antibiotics, and a drug (Urised) for spasms since my bladder and all my abdomen and back hurt, as well as a pain (Norco 10 mg/325mg tablets) medication. However it is still extremely painful and I am home only because I chose to come home and try to convalesce at home rather than staying in the hospital until the surgery. But if I have any trouble - high fever, unmanageable pain, inability to urinate, I have to go straight back to the ER pronto. I am so sick... UGH."

Fortunately for me, the Doctor called this morning to say that he had gotten me scheduled for this coming Thursday. Please keep your fingers and eyes crossed for me that all goes smoothly. I had no idea that this would be so painful - it's unreal!

Another thing I wanted to comment on is my nonexistent ipod. I don't have mine yet. So far, I only have two people of the five I need that have actually completed an offer so if anyone else wants to do something nice for me besides hitting the paypal (feel free to send me steaming piles of cash. I would say "dough" but if I did, I just know that someone would send me a box with actual dough in it. Ha! I foiled the silliness attempt.) button, feel free to complete an ipod offer. Thank you and this concludes this presentation.

1 Comments:

  • I'm visiting via blogexplosion. I just had my 9th..i think..stone in March, and all i can offer is ENJOY THE DRUGS while they last ;)

    By Blogger Puglet, at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home